Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), this program trains graduate students and junior faculty in EITM, a research strategy that integrates theoretical models and empirical research to improve and expand our understanding of politics. The institute will integrate developments and findings from throughout political science, including the substantive areas of American politics, comparative politics, international relations, and political economy.
The primary benefits of EITM for student participants are:
- Instruction by leading scholars in the discipline on cutting edge methods
- Deeper understanding of philosophical and epistemological considerations in theory building and evaluation
- Support and feedback on students’ own research by EITM faculty and participants
- A network of EITM students, alumni, and faculty that will provide constructive engagement long after the institute concludes
EITM 2023 will take place on weekdays from June 26 to July 14, 2023. The institute will be in person and hosted by Princeton University.
Applications for the 2023 EITM Summer Institute at Princeton University are now open. There are no fees associated with participating in the institute. If accepted, all program fees and living expenses will be covered by EITM.
The application deadline is February 28, 2023 for both applications and letters of recommendation.
The administrative contact for EITM 2023 is Michelle Anderson, Project Manger, EITM.
2023 EITM Institute, June 26 to July 14, 2023
Each day of EITM will consist of about 5.5 hours of instruction and meetings. On a typical day, faculty leaders will present lectures and small group exercises in both morning and afternoon sessions. During lunch time sessions, 1-2 student participants will present their own research. In addition, each week we will schedule informal social gatherings and sessions on professional development.
Scheduled topics include:
- Causal inference and theoretical models
- Practicum on building theoretical models
- Theory evaluation in experimental, observational, and qualitative research
- The role of theory and identification in generalized causal inference
- Theory building and evaluation in comparative politics, international relations, political behavior, and political institutions
Over its 3 weeks, EITM meets every weekday except Tuesday, July 4.
The EITM Institute will select participants through a competitive process.
- The application deadline is February 28, 2023 for both applications and letters of recommendation.
- All application materials should be sent in PDF format.
A complete application consists of the following four components:
- Description of your EITM research proposal (5 pages). We will base admission substantially on the quality and potential of this proposal — particularly its integration of theoretical modeling and empirical testing.
- Brief statement of interest and purpose in applying for the summer program (1-2 pages).
- Curriculum Vita with name and contact information, current location and position. If you are a student, the CV should indicate your current status in graduate school (e.g., whether you’ve passed exams and defended a dissertation proposal).
- Two letters of recommendation. You will supply names and email addresses for your letter writers. Letter writers will be automatically contacted for their letters, due February 28, 2023.
The first three components above should be combined in the same order as listed into a single PDF file named with this convention using your name EITM2022_LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME, ready to upload with your application.
We intend to accept about 25-30 participants — mostly advanced graduate students who are past their general exams, preferably with a completed dissertation prospectus or plan but not yet at the writing-up stage. We will also accept some junior faculty, preferably at a stage where they are wishing to add research to a defended dissertation before publication, or embarking on a second project. Applicants will be notified of our acceptance decisions (via e-mail).
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org